Teeth Whitening: The Importance of Your Teeth in Making the First Impression
Dentistry is a medical field that is quickly becoming more valuable in the 21st century. Several dental transformations have improved the quality of patients’ lives. People exude more confidence now than ever before. Ideally, the teeth are among the first things people notice when they talk to you. This makes it essential to have your oral health in check for the best first impressions.
What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening in West New York falls under cosmetic dentistry. It is the art of improving the appearance of teeth by making them whiter than they are. The process involves bleaching teeth with select dental products to get rid of stains. Patients who visit dentists have stains that regular toothpaste cannot cleanout.
Who Should Consider Professional Teeth Whitening?
A dentist in West New York will tell you that anyone can qualify for professional teeth whitening. The process, however, is suited for patients that have stubborn stains on their teeth. A dentist can only remove these stains through a speeded-up bleaching process.
As you check out a nearby location: Union City, North Bergen, Guttenberg, New Durham, and Edgewater for teeth whitening services, here are some things that can cause teeth staining:
- Smoking – patients who smoke increase their risks of teeth staining. Your dentist will ask whether or not you smoke, as the first step of professional teeth whitening.
- Foods and drinks – acidic foods and drinks with dark pigmentation can stain food over time. Such foods like tomatoes and drinks like wines and coffee gradually stain teeth.
- Poor oral hygiene – have you considered that perhaps your teeth are yellow because you do not clean them? Plaque builds up on surfaces of teeth, changing their color to yellowish.
- Aging – aging causes the enamel to thin. When this happens, more of the dentin is exposed. Since the dentin is duller than the enamel, the teeth appear duller as well.
What Happens During Professional Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening involves the use of whitening gel to bleach the teeth and make them whiter. The process involves the following steps:
- Teeth cleaning – professional cleaning of teeth is necessary to clean out the surfaces of teeth. For some patients, this step will already show improvements in the shade if the color of their teeth. Teeth cleaning gets rid of food debris and plaque that tarnish teeth. It is also a necessary step, without which the whitening efforts would not be successful. Your dentist will then place a protective layer over your gums to protect the surrounding tissues from exposure to the products.
- Application of whitening gel – the gel is applied sufficiently to all your teeth. It has to be left on for about 15 minutes. It is then removed and applied again. This process can be done 2-4 times to achieve the best results. In some cases, laser or ultraviolet light is used. Once the gel is applied, the laser is used to activate the bleaching process. When lasers are used, multiple application is not necessary. This step should whiten your teeth from all stains.
What Happens To the Stubborn Stains?
Some stains refuse to leave your teeth, even after the bleaching process at the clinic. The reason is that this bleaching works for stains that are on the surface of teeth. If some stains persist, your dentist might recommend an at-home treatment.
The treatment involves leaving the whitening gel on for a little longer. Your dentist will give you’re a mouth appliance to help keep the gel on your teeth. This can go on for up to a week. For at-home treatment, your dentist will provide you with clear instructions on how to go about it. You have to be careful not to overdo the treatment, lest you damage the enamel of your teeth.
What to Expect From Teeth Whitening
- Other than a brighter smile and an improved confidence level, there are some consequences of teeth whitening.
- Teeth sensitivity – this might go on for a couple of days after your procedure. It should wear off with time.
- Lifestyle changes – you have to quit smoking and change your eating habits to maintain the results.
- Top-notch oral hygiene – it is the only way to maintain the results for long.